Dear UFCW Members:
We want to sincerely thank you- and all of our members- for everything you are doing to help your customers, our community, and your country through this unprecedented health crisis. You are on the frontlines of this crisis, and you are proving how invaluable your work is, and the vital role our union members play in times like these.
Please know that your Local 711 UFCW family is here for you during these difficult and challenging times. You are not alone. We are one union family, and we are in this together.
We will be providing you with updates on this website, such as those noted below, on what action your Local Union and the International are taking to protect all of our members. As always, please call your union representatives with any questions or concerns.
Among the actions we wanted you to know about include:
- Working with the state and federal leaders to develop immediate policies that will protect members’ personal and economic health. specifically, both the local union and international union are working with elected leaders to make sure the concerns of UFCW members are heard when developing any new local, state, and federal policy to address the coronavirus pandemic.
- The Local Union and International Union are having ongoing discussions with management and your employers about the steps they are taking (and should take) to protect your job, pay and benefits. These discussions include additional steps that you need to take to protect your co-workers from any work place exposure to the coronavirus, as well as address concerns our members have raised.
- To ensure that the critical work you are doing is recognized and protected, we are asking that state and federal governments designate our grocery retail, health, and food processing members as “first responders”. This designation, we believe, would improve access to testing and additional protections necessary to do your vital jobs.
- To ensure that all our members are aware of any critical updates about the coronavirus pandemic, we are asking you to please text “Prepared” to 83071. These alerts will provide you invaluable updates through out this crisis, so we will be encouraging all of our members to sign up as quickly as possible.
- To make you aware of the protective measures recommended by the Center of Disease Control (CDC), we will be posting key information on our Local Union and International Union websites.
- To help ensure your safety we are strongly encouraging all of our members to reach out to us at 702-648-7112, if they have any workplace concerns about their personal health of workplace safety. It is essential that we hear of these concerns from you so we can address them with your employer as quickly as possible.
With respect to your health, and the health of your loved ones, it is essential that we take smart steps to protect ourselves. For example, if you show any symptoms of the coronavirus, which include fever, dry cough, and shortness of breath, you should immediately call your health care provider. To find out additional information of what you can and should do to protect yourself, please visit CDC.gov.
On a more personal level, we know that these are incredibly stressful days for you and all members of our union family. During such trying moments, we want you to know that your union will be here for you. As difficult as the days ahead may be, we will get through this together.
Thank you again for all the work that you are doing, and please do not forget to sign up for texts alerts by texting “Prepared” to 83071.
Sincerely and fraternally,